I know the holidays can be a stressful time of year for a lot of reasons but I am a strong believer in the idea that what you put out into the universe you get back! In other words, let’s enjoy the holiday season and all the joy it brings!
Here are my Top Ten Ways To Enjoy The Holidays:
1) Be festive and decorate your house.
2) Sing a holiday song as loud as you can.
3) Drink hot cocoa or cider.
4) Wear a sweater, boots and a scarf.
5) Do yoga. Mostly restorative.
6) Adopt a daily meditation practice.
7) Donate to your favorite charity in need and bring them cheer for the holidays.
8) Make a delicious winter-inspired meal with seasonal ingredients.
9) Give a present to your dog or your friends dog or someone’s dog and watch them open it! SO MUCH JOY!
10) Look at the holidays through the eyes of a child! Excitement and wonder awaits!
Let me know if you will try any of these fun ways to enjoy the holidays and please leave other ideas in the comments below!
What is something that you do daily that you could make into a mindful ritual?
For me, it’s drinking a cup of coffee in the morning or tea in the late afternoon.
I pour my coffee or tea in a beautiful mug, add some milk, and stir it with a spoon.
I hold the cup with my hands and feel its warmth. While I’m drinking it, I take a seat in my favorite chair, slow down and enjoy every sip. I don’t worry about what I am going to do later or what I did before. I don’t check my email or look at my phone. I focus on being present and savor each sip. I give thanks that I am blessed enough to enjoy such a privilege. I know it may seem silly to make something so ordinary seem special but it’s feeling gratitude for these small moments that make the mundane sacred and put things in perspective.
Try creating a mindful ritual yourself:
-Think of something that you do daily.
-Slow down, enjoy the act of doing it, notice the steps you take and perform each one with care and mindfulness.
-Give thanks and blessings for your ability to do it.
Let me know in the comments below if you have any rituals or are inspired to create one.
What a crazy world we live in, right?!?
When your day has got you down, how do you hold onto the positivity and let go of the negativity? Here are 3 tips to help you out:
Tip #1 Give, give, give
When I am feeling especially negative, I turn to giving. I give my time, my effort or my love to others. Some of you may feel like giving financially to a charity, getting involved in some way to help out where you feel there is the most need or even just being more present with your loved ones. Listen to your heart and see where you are being asked to give.
Tip #2 Turn It Upside Down
Changing your perspective can be a powerful tool to see the positive side of something. In our yoga practice, we can use the asanas to create a landscape that shifts our perspectives by literally seeing the world from a different angle because of how we place our bodies. Give yourself a moment to pause and take a yoga class. You may find that turning your world upside down will help you change how you look at things!
Tip #3 Find Gratitude
There’s always something to be grateful for even when things are bad. Try writing a list of all of the things you are grateful for and read them aloud to yourself. Sometimes we just need a reminder of all the wonderful things in our life that we do have and that gives us enough motivation to stay positive.
* YogaWorks is hosting a fun Gratitude Challenge this week to foster a community of gratitude and support! If you’d like to participate, go to your local studio and write down one thing you’re grateful for and keep up your gratitude and yoga practice. I’ll be joining in the fun at Tarzana and Woodland Hills! 🙂
I hope these simple tips will help you find the silver lining. Let me know how it works for you in the comments below. What works for you? I’d love to hear about it!